Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Staying Motivated



Writing has always been what I love most.  In my lifetime of flux, writing is the one thing I can honestly say has never wavered.  This doesn't mean I have always lived the life of a writer who is determined to make it big in the publishing world.  And, even though I love it, grown up life gets in the way and I lose motivation to sit all alone and peck keys on a keyboard. After a hard day I want to be social or active.  Often, I want to read about everyone else and their day on Facebook or Twitter.

Whenever someone (a non-writer) finds out I am writing a book, the first thing they say is, "I could never do that.  I wouldn't have the patience to sit and write all of that."  To be honest, I used to think the same thing.  I loved writing stories, but stuck to poetry because I didn't think I was a "distance writer."  I have since learned the secret.  

Authors work together!  That's how they get it done.  The support structure that Twitter and Facebook, Skype and others, offer to authors is incredible.  With these tools, writers can teach each other their strategies, offer emotional support and encouragement, celebrate together and even virtually work together.

Tonight, in fact, Nova Lovette and I wrote in 30 minute sprints together.  Her from her house and me from mine.  She would set the timer and tell me when to start via Facebook or Twitter.  Then she would tell me when to stop.  We shared our word counts with one another and even brainstormed our way through some sticky plot points in between our sprints.  Several times I wanted to quit, but knowing I was reporting to her and that she wasn't quitting, kept me honest and motivated.  By the end, she exceeded her goal of 2000 words and I had over 2500 words to show for it.  Plus, we built a closer friendship.  No loss there.

I'm so glad I stuck it out.  I worked through a scene that I have been stuck on for a month.  I've clarified some of my plot and character actions.  Without one another, Nova and I may not have been as successful as we were tonight.  Follow us on Twitter or Facebook if you want to join us on some writing sprints sometime.  As of right now, they aren't at scheduled times (hard to do in the summer months), but if you catch us in a sprint, you can always join in.

Don't think writing a novel has to be done in some wooded cabin, isolated from all distractions.  All you need is a writing partner who is as determined as you are, but honest about their motivation--and maybe some caffeine, cheese balls and a kick-butt playlist.  Good Luck and Happy Writing.


#StayGroovy  

1 comment:

  1. Awww! I had a blast too! It really kept my butt on track. I don't think I would have finished in time if it wasn't for doing the sprints with you tonight. It is nice to have that push once in awhile. Plus, because of this, I feel like I am back in the writing and focused. It has been so hard to find the words lately but like Elizabeth Gilbert said in her TED speech that I can only be accountable for showing up for work and doing my part. The rest is up to the "genius." If you wanna watch the video I am speaking about, which I HIGHLY suggest, here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86x-u-tz0MA

    ReplyDelete