Friday, February 10, 2012

On Coloring Outside the Lines

  If you know me for any period time you’ll discover that I love quotes. When I was in high school and college my planners were filled with random stuff like: 
“Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.” 
  and 
“The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.” 
While I still love the funny randomness, my quote collection has expended to things such as:
“The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug.” - Mark Twain 
“When he killed a calf he would do it in a high style, and make a speech. (About Shakespeare)” - John Aubrey 
“The best time to plan a book is while you're doing the dishes.” (or while you’re in the shower, really anytime you can’t actually write anything down) - Agatha Christie 
Being a writer means you’re always growing. I have realized that once again when I started my new project. You see, this story is written in present tense, and that’s new for me. And I mean terrifying, crazy, my-head-is-going-to-explode kind of new. It's like coloring outside the lines. Sure, I’ve written stories in present tense before but never a full blown novel. Yet, since I’ve taken this step in the new direction I realized that I have grown as a writer. I know, shocker right? But I think sometimes we forget to see our own journey because we focus so much more on the end result. Also, I have a tendency to feel like this:
Yep, totally me as I started this project!
But you know what? I have to be honest, I’m loving writing in present tense. I know its going to be a tough journey because I keep reverting back to the way I’m “used to” writing, but I will keep pushing myself. This is my goal. In the end, its going to be beautiful and amazing, because that's what writing is all about. Its about coloring outside the lines. 

What are some of your writing goals? Do you have a preference in tense types? 
And don’t worry, the rest of the Warehouse crew is alive and well, they’re just hiding from the internet at the moment (not of their own making). I’m holding down the fort, but seriously hoping they return soon. Because, come on people, we all know they’re the entertaining ones. :-)
Much love, 
Valia 

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic post, Valia! I have just come across your blog and like it very much. :) I am totally an 'anxiety girl' too! LOL

    Stephanie @ Stepping Out of the Page
    Drop by & enter my International Giveaway

    ReplyDelete