Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Books on Writing

In the last week or so I have been diving into some books on writing. I have quite a few that sit upon my own shelves that I have read pieces here and there. To be honest some of them I find not my type of books. Yes I understand they are meant to be for educational purposes but I don't find them engaging at the same time. That was until I ran across Writing Down the Bones by Victoria Goldberg. I completely devoured it in a single day. Everything she talks about in that book, I have been feeling. It was so strong that I felt like it was wrote to me, for that very moment. Since reading it, I have put "Thunder and Lightening" on hold at the library. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I was also recommended Plot & Structure, written by James Scott Bell, by Kristen Lamb. I just started it and I'm only a 100 pages or so in but so far it is crazy informative. Things that you find are common sense your mind doesn't really think of. I know that sounds strange but if you have been through it, then you know what I am trying to say. Even though I am not that far into it I HIGHLY recommend it to every writer. Heck, any of his writing books are a must buy. I have a few and loved them all.

I was at my town library, yes I go to two different libraries on a regular basis and yes that makes me a super nerd, I ran across The Zen of Writing by Ray Bradbury. If you guys don't know I am a big Ray fan. I have been for many many years and I knew that he wrote a book like this but I never read it. The book is essays on the art of writing and creativity with a splash of his life thrown in. I already knew alot about his general life from interviews and articles I've read before but these essays dive deeper. I have one more essay left in the bunch but everyone should check this out. I'm considering doing his noun list that he talks about early on in the book to help find story ideas.

Next is Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. I have this sitting beside me on the desk as I write. I haven't started it quite yet but every writer I have spoke with about books on the craft, this one always comes up. Normally I read quite a few books at one time but I am trying to finish the other two before I start this one. I have a feeling that once I do, I will devour it the same as I did Writing Down the Bones.

Then there is the ever popular On Writing by Stephen King. I have read this book so many times that it is crazy. It seems every time that I read it, I find something new and I wonder how I had missed it before. The book is parted in two with one containing his life and then another section on his writing/advice. If you are ever going to read a writing book this is one that I suggest starting with.

To end with The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I have tried to do this 12 week program book 2 years ago when I was living in California but it really wasn't the right time to start it since I was driving back to Illinois. Now I have started it again and I'm on week 3. So far so good. I do my morning pages everyday and all the while I'm thinking, why haven't I been doing this forever. I know part of the reason why but still, I was silly not to keep with it. I have learned alot about myself and well as writing some interesting things in there. Of course, part of the idea of the morning pages is that you don't show anyone so sorry folks, nothing to see here :P

If there are any books that you have read on the craft and want to add to the list please do and please let me know. I am always looking for new stuff to try!


No comments:

Post a Comment