Friday, November 11, 2011

11-11-11: Secret Weapons

Hi there. It’s Friday and I am here to entertain! Come over here. A little closer. That’s right. Take a seat right there. Very good. Now, let talk about writing.

Okay, so I had this whole thing planned out. My first post. I was going to dazzle. This is it! I’m going to make a great first impression. I brainstormed, I typed it, I edited, and it loved me. There was hugging people! That’s some serious love. But it decided to run away and now I am left with this. *looks at the screen sadly*


If I had a dog and a cat, this is definitely what they would say. I'm sure my bird thinks I'm nuts.


This is how writing is for me. I get this fabulous idea, run to my computer, notebook, or roll of toilet paper and jot down the idea. It’s shiny. It loves me. All is well in the world. Then I sit down to actually write it and everything falls apart.

There is wailing.

There is gashing of teeth.

There is lots of coffee consumption (well, there is always coffee consumption, but that’s besides the point).

The point is we all suck. We really do. No matter how hard we try not to, we will have those days that no matter what words we put to paper they will scream obscenities at us. My characters do. Often. However, the funny thing about that is I can sit down the next day, write down the exact same words and receive presents and cookies from the said characters.

This is exactly what I look like when I dance!
Would you like to know how I deal with those times? I dance. Oh, and eat Hot Cheetos (those are seriously addicting).

Just the fact that I can stand up and bust a move (glee version) can and does refocus me. It’s like my characters enjoy the time away from me and when I come back, they welcome me with open arms.

Since it's 11-11-11 I guess I can wish to have super writing skills and spit out novels faster than the speed of light, but where would be the fun in that?

Now, my question to you darlings is: What’s your secret weapon?

Is there something that you do that helps relieve the tension and bring you back to focus? I’d really love to know I’m not the only weird awesome one out there!

Disclaimer: this post has absolutely nothing to do with a friend who had a bit of a down time tonight. I won’t say who he is but he might possibly be on this blog. Isn’t it funny how someone else’s sad time can inspire greatness? That’s right, greatness I said! Now show me some love people!

1 comment:

  1. My secret weapon would be doing something artistic. I paint, do photography, photoshop, etc so one of those usually gets the creative juices flowing. Sometimes I just need to kick start my brain into thinking a different way.

    ReplyDelete