Friday, January 13, 2012

On Getting Involved

*Boo!* 
Sorry, had to get that out of the way. 

Writers are solitary creatures. There are not many careers out there that allow you to spend your days in pj’s, if need be, away from all the crazy that is outside of your house. We like solitude. We like to be able to live in our own little worlds. After all, our worlds are rockin! 
But on the other side of this solitude is the loneliness. I know we have talked about that here before, but loneliness is just as much a part of a writers life as breathing. We all get in the ruts of self doubt, procrastination, and various other depressing words that you can enter here. However, what I’ve discovered in the past year was that writers are also one big family. 
This is nothing new either. If you’ve been writing for any length of time you have discovered this for yourself. We band together to keep each other encouraged and motivated. So this is where the core of my post lies.
This year, I’ve decided that I would be more involved. On my personal blog, I write a lot of book reviews. I just adore the privilege to let others know about a particular author and their book. But what I’ve decided to do is to get the authors themselves a little more involved. On top of the reviews, I want to have a Q&A, or a sneak peak, or just some kind of a visit from the authors themselves. Like this Interview & Giveaway I have on my blog right now (Click here).  I want my readers to discover the authors and their work in the best light possible. Truth be told, it is a bit intimidating to reach out to those who have “made it” while I’m still searching for an agent *wipes brow* (but that is a topic for another day). However, the family that is us is a lot more open and receptive than I could’ve ever imagined. The people that take time to talk to me are the ones who encourage me to keep going and that is why I want to get involved. I want to give a little of it back. I encourage you, my friends, to give something back as well. Get involved in your writing communities. Drop a sweet note into an authors mailbox. Comment on a blog post *hint hint* We appreciate it more than words can express. 
Now I leave you with a questions: what authors would you like me to have featured on the blog? 
Go forth and do something nice for somebody today! 
(Even though its Friday the 13th)
Much love, 
Valia 

1 comment:

  1. I love the writing community. I've met some wonderful and encouraging people. It keeps me from sinking into that lonliness you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete